According to analysis by Homeless Link:
- The total number of applications (to councils for housing) has grown for the fifth consecutive quarter – from 21,410 applications in the first quarter of 2010 to 26,400 applications in first quarter of 2011
- Some areas have witnessed considerable jumps in applications of over 50%
- The percentage of applications that councils choose to accept continues to decline – the acceptance rate stood at 43% in the first quarter of 2011, the lowest acceptance rate since 1999
- The proportion of households found to be homeless but “not in priority need” continues to increase from 15% in 2008 – to 21% in the first quarter of 2011
- The number of households in temporary accommodation continues to fall.
So the over-all homelessness picture does not look great. In terms of the work we do with individuals who have many needs and struggle to engage with services the numbers are not raising greatly. But the above is likely to worsen conditions for many people and increase the chance of them dropping into hegher needs groups in the future!